Brand Vs Product – How similarly different they are!
Product and brand are two commonly encountered terms in marketing. You might get confused between the two, but the difference is very simple. A product is an item that is available for sale in the market. A brand is one which distinguishes a product from another.
What is a product?
- A product is a service or good or a combination of both which is made by the manufacturers or producers. It can be physical and non-physical. It is an object/item that is ready to sell. A product is a need and this need can be satisfied by any product.
- A product can be copied by different companies. Like say, there are many companies that make toothpaste. The brands might be different but the product remains the same, eg. Colgate, pepsodent, Himalaya, etc. all these companies make toothpaste but the product remains the same.
- Every product has a size, shape, colour, texture, brand name, packaging features and much more, which are only physiologically or quality wise different. Companies take advantage of this fact and try to persuade the customers. They will produce similar products to confuse the target audience. Therefore, unless you experience the product and see its performance you cannot trust it.
- A product usually has a limited life. With the changing time, it might expire soon. Once it is expired it becomes outmoded. In such a case, when a product expires, the company might re-launch the product; re-introduce it to the target audience. This is why companies do re-branding of a product.
” Product is what you need & Brand is what you want “
What is a brand?
- A brand is the preferred identity of a product. It is when you can connect yourself with the brand, and choose to buy a product of that particular brand. It identifies a particular product from a pool of similar products. It has a personal touch, an emotional connection with the customer, which makes them chose that brand over and over. It is like forming a relationship, trusting and getting attached to the product via brand. In simple words, a brand is made by the people.
- If seen clearly, a brand can only be felt, it cannot be touched. It is wider than a product and is not made easily. It takes years to build a brand and once it is built, it just grows with time. Once a brand earns trust then it stays in the market on its goodwill.
- Take Google for example, when it was launched, people took some time to experience it, like it and trust it. It is because of the trust & experience that people rely on Google more than themselves. Today if Google launches any new product or makes enhancement in any of its products, people would blindly trust it. This is because Google is a famous and well-accepted brand. It will only grow with time and its brand fame needs no change.
” A Brand never dies it only dwells with time, on the other hand, the Product might keep changing “
Connecting dots between a brand and product
- A brand truly emerges from a product. They both are different but cannot survive without each other. A product might be available in the market, but only a brandbuilds its value over time. A brand is made with experience, benefits, relation, and trust, while a product is made with performance, experience and benefits. Now you see the thin line between the two? They both go hand in hand with each other.
How similarly different they are!
- Talking about the similarities, there are a few points that separate a brand from a product. A product can be replaced but a brand cannot be. Once an image is established of a brand no matter what products may come and go the brand will not change. This is the beauty of a brand it never dies while a product might. Having said this, we can also say that a brand is unique while a product might not be.
” Product can be copied but a Brand is unique “
- They might seem the same but if you look at the differences then you will know the real difference between them how similarly different they actually are. A productis a single identity & there can be various products under a single brand. This makes the brand a wider term than a product. A brand truly exists because there is a product.
” Product is ephemeral, Brand live forever “
- Speaking about the differences, a brand cannot be copied while a product can be. A brand is connected with mind and a product is connected with the brand. A brand, on the other hand, offers value and a product offers solutions. A product is what you need and a brand is what you want.
I hope this article has helped you to clear your thoughts, for detailed information about the current trends.
Optimist Brand Design – Top Branding & Advertising Agency In Pune
A brand is not a logo, name, trademark, symbol or jingle. Yes, these things affect the brand, but the brand encompasses all of this and more. Simply put, a brand is the sum total of all the impressions a customer has. Brand design companies in Pune help you to brand your product or services on various platforms because branding is something you should be focusing on even in your start-up days. It’s better to design a brand at the first place rather than fix it later.
Many small business owners I talk to already understand that branding is essential to their business, but surprisingly many of them don’t know really why. It is difficult to settle on one product branding definition because branding triggers an emotional connection in consumers. It is when the brand design agencies come into the picture. If done well, product branding can be maintained and produce a solid, well-connected network throughout the life of the product.
A brand’s success relies on the repetitive delivery of a consistent message. It is typically designed to cause immediate recognition by the viewer, inspiring trust, admiration, loyalty and superiority. There are plenty of companies out there with a prominent graph of success, but more are failing entirely. So, what it is that makes some businesses successful while their competitors are left in the dust? It’s not always an easy question to answer, but there are few companies that no matter what they do, they are lucky stars. One of the best examples is Nike. The great thing about Nike is that they have convinced the world that they are actually committed to improving our lives even though they are committed to making money.
Branding a product was amiable when there were no websites, Smartphone or social media. Today, innovative teams are required to brand a product across multimedia. Brand design and ad agencies in Pune like Optimist brand design apply their branding strategies across various platforms.
Creating and sustaining trust is what branding is all about. The best and most successful brands are completely logical. Every aspect of what they do and what they are strengthens brand image. A successful, consistent brand identity will distinguish and give acknowledgment to your company as well as creating an ‘irresistible’ factor for existing and potential new customers.
Summers bring out the tourists in everybody. As the temperature rises, the energy level of people keeps on increasing. But when June creeps in, the whopping rush of getting children back and running into school is always on priority. They say, every job has holiday except for Moms; we move on and paraphrase it to every job has a holiday except for parenthood. Worrying for a child to get good grades, good school and good education is the goal of each parent. Assuming you have the knowledge of expensive structure at any school. An exception to this is Dnyandeep English medium School and Hostel. The infrastructure and the location of the school make it on a different facade. Amidst the Pachgani hostels and Wai town, DEMS promises an atmosphere of sports, environment and complete attainment to proactive education and with exclusive reasonable fees.
The promising students and picturesque environment called for school photography project. Our photographer and art director captured scenes and images that celebrated the spirit of schooling beautifully. Every classroom, every child, every staff co-operated with extra enthusiasm. The hostel, the mess and the grounds made us go back into the times of our school days.
Having digitally active target audience, we promoted DEMS in a traditional way with the turn of events into the digital world. The challenge was grabbing the attention of the tourists travelling into the summer hotness while their enjoyment lasted. Hence, we started up with outdoor branding. Gradually people gave way and we were well off on our social platform. The main objective of the campaign was educating the parents about a school with all major resources few kilometres away. So our Digital Strategist cooked up an idea of all mathematical operations implemented in school. Within days the Likes and shares on the page increased.
Outdoor hoarding at Katraj Highway.
The increase in enquiries to the school was a major reward for the digital and advertising strategy.
Increase in parents’ engagement and response rate.
Tweets and retweets, likes and shares. People started taking in more action and DEMS was put on the Maharashtra map.
The resulting 10th students were also felicitated on social platform that involved the parents with tags and comments.
Advertising is a science!! With this statement done, you might conclude either the writer might have lost her mind or she simply does not take the field seriously. But that’s what audiences (and in this case the readers) have a tendency to instantly jump to final decisions. But if you would take a few moments and try to reason out this fact you might quite understand as to why I would say that.
Just like any chemical composition, advertising is also a combination of different elements and compounds. Also, if we really dig to deep roots we keep hearing many scientists saying that science in fact is an art. According to all the theorists and applied scientists when an invention is made, it is a work of art and imagination. Similarly isn’t any ad the foundation of same process? A process is another world. And in that world, exists different facets and where I metaphor them as an entire family. When you consider a single piece as ad, you might not understand this metaphor. But consider an ad as a whole series of campaign with use of different media and different communication. Of this entire family, Branding is just a part; but this part has its major hold onto everything. Branding isn’t just a story to tell by ways of logo, color, designing and use of different fonts. It is a system, a discipline, a personality with an abstract but calculative behavior. As and when this behavior becomes prevalent, the journey of this family member starts promoting and bringing sensible results to the family. No-one has actually constructed a phenomenon how a brand brings these results. But when you look carefully you will realize its potential. You probably might be wondering how often any brand has developed in the said sequence. Considering the heritage brands, they have had their behavior and have evolved in their journey; with their family extending and innovating.
The backgrounds are phenomenal with a careful study and scrutinized planning of branding. Not only does branding help the advertising process, it has described a socio-economic back drop in many ways. The in-film branding, the referential series metaphors, the spoofs of the brands all are in fact other faces of the same person. We might just wish to say as and when the person is prompted from a general society to the celebrity world, how it evolves and how it develops with help of media is a tricky business. Mostly it is said not all can handle stardom but when a brand is being born it is actually made for stardom. So the advertising, public relation, fame-game everything is a part of its life. How the creators and makers maintain it and effect with respect makes branding the big brother for advertising. How the big brother makes his own identity and helps the family to root in the fame society makes every brand a personality with eminence and endeavor.
While I was roaming around in the citybuzz I noticed something that caught my eye. It wasn’t that weird or even that beautiful for that matter. It was a simple ad of another real estate project. The difference was in the scheme they have to offer. Similar to maple ad only with no discrepancies our very own Jhakkas man was promoting another lucky draw scheme for real estate. While I thought this might turn the hill just it happened out for maple, I saw another ad this time on social media. Only then did it catch my interest. Otherwise brand shy Anil Kapoor does put himself into the brand endorsement world where a lucky draw home is equally appealed to its audiences. Known for his living habits from Dharavi, he has aptly been branded for the product or service the scheme calls for.
This is exactly what happens. Brand endorsements have a different sense of grabbing audiences’ interests. Why do brand endorsements actually work? Is it because of the face or because of the space? Well no one can put it perfectly. But, glamour does play an important role in advertising world. From rural population to urbane psychology; bollywood celebrities have always caught every spectator’s eye. Brand endorsements are not just a photo shoot or an ad campaign here or there. It is an inclusion of interactive approach by both brand ambassador and the marketer. Thus, the thought process while selecting someone for a brand promotion involves a proactive brand ambassador. So, even if a product is young and enthusiastic but if you choose a socially ignorant or social media shy celebrity the brand will hamper more negatively than being promoted. There are some who like bollywood glamour, while there are some who cue up to sports personalities. An interesting part of brand endorsement is the role played by each media. It’s not just images and TVCs of brand endorsers those appeals to target groups; but what they have had to say. There’s no secret, media encashes all this gossip into a fruitful media meat. There is an ancient saying; a person is smart but people are dumb. When your favourite personalities (or role models) say something, do something or show something you have an invincible loyalty towards it. This is how brand endorsement marketing actually promotes itself, based on the faith of the one person promoting. As times changed, the role of brand endorser changed from appearance to promotion. With the advent of today’s media part to a complete adoption of the brand stakes has grown out to be a brand positioning in today’s marketing world.